Richard Ramirez, the ‘Night Stalker’

Richard Ramirez, the "Night Stalker" serial killer convicted of killing 13 people, died of natural causes Friday at a Bay Area hospital, corrections officials confirmed.

A Los Angeles jury convicted Ramirez in the 13 killings that terrorized Southern California in the mid-1980s. He was sentenced to death and had been serving time on death row in San Quentin since 1989.

Ramirez went on a months-long rampage of sexual assault and murder that generated widespread fear throughout Southern California.

What do you remember? | Photos: Richard Ramirez, the Night Stalker | Video: Covering the Night Stalker trial | Map: The Night Stalker's path

CONVICTION: Read The Times front page
On Nov. 8, 1989, The Times re­por­ted that con­victed “Night Stalk­er” Richard Ramirez was sen­tenced to death but not be­fore the husky-voice killer de­livered a chilling part­ing mono­logue in which he warned, “I will be avenged.”
On Sept. 21, 1989, The Times re­por­ted that Richard Ramirez was found guilty of all 43 “Night Stalk­er” crimes, in­clud­ing 13 murders.
On Jan. 31, 1989, The Times re­por­ted that amid heavy se­cur­ity and after three years of leg­al pre­lim­in­ar­ies the “Night Stalk­er” tri­al opened.
On Jan. 30, 1989, The Times re­por­ted that “Night Stalk­er” sus­pect Richard Ramirez, who has spent 3 years in jail will go on tri­al today.
On May 7, 1986, The Times re­por­ted that “Night Stalk­er” sus­pect Richard Ramirez was ordered to stand tri­al on 14 murder charges and 36 oth­er felon­ies stem­ming from a bru­tal crime spree that gripped Los Angeles County in a wave of ter­ror last year.
On Sept. 1, 1985, The Times re­por­ted that a 25-year-old drift­er iden­ti­fied as the “Night Stalk­er” was chased, beaten with a steel rod and cap­tured by angry cit­izens.
On Aug. 31, 1985, The Times re­por­ted that an all-points-bul­let­in was is­sued for Richard Ramirez, 25, of Los Angeles, sus­pec­ted of be­ing the “Night Stalk­er” whose sev­en-month ram­page of kid­nap­ping, rape and murder has spread fear from Or­ange County to San Fran­cisco.
On Aug. 28, 1985, The Times re­por­ted that after re­spond­ing to “hun­dreds and hun­dreds of phone calls since Sunday from fear­ful res­id­ents,” Or­ange County Sher­iff Brad Gates said depu­ties are ran­domly stop­ping sus­pi­cious-look­ing mo­tor­ists and bol­ster­ing neigh­bor­hood patrols to re­duce the chance of a second at­tack in the county by a killer dubbed the “Night Stalk­er.”
On Aug. 25, 1985, The Times re­por­ted on the vic­tims of the “Val­ley In­truder” or “Night Stalk­er” as de­tect­ives have dubbed him.
On Aug. 14, 1985, The Times re­por­ted that San Fernando Val­ley res­id­ents frightened by the bru­tal at­tacks of the so-called “Val­ley In­truder,” are phoning po­lice with false sight­ings of prowl­ers and with ques­tions about form­ing neigh­bor­hood watch groups and se­cur­ing their homes.
On Aug. 14, 1985, The Times re­por­ted that Sher­iff’s Sgt. Frank Salerno, the lead de­tect­ive in the so-called “Val­ley In­truder” case, is every­body’s idea of a good hom­icide cop.
One Aug. 10, 1985, The Times re­por­ted that the March 17 shoot­ing death of a 35-year-old wo­man in her Rose­mead con­domin­i­um may have been the first in a county­wide series of at least six slay­ings linked to a killer who enters un­locked home at night to at­tack his vic­tims as they sleep.